Doolin Coast Guard unit was tasked to assist the crew of the HSE Ambulance Service of North Clare.Due to the snow and icy conditions the Ambulance crew were unable to drive the ambulance close to the patients home. Six members of the Doolin Coast Guard Team helped to transport the patient by stretcher from her home to the Ambulance. The team set up safety ropes to lower the stretcher down the very steep ice covered drive-way.
At 18.10 , Christmas Eve , Doolin Coast Guard Unit was tasked by MRCC Valentia to investigate a reported sighting of two flares in the Spanish Point area. Team members assembled and others went to various locations along the coastline and watched for any lights in the bay.The sea was very calm with low fog. Coast Guard helicopter , Rescue 115 , was tasked and carried out a search of the area. Doolin Coast Guard Delta was prepared for launch and on standby if needed. Nothing was found , theCoast Guard Helicopter returned to base in Shannon and the Doolin team members also stood down at 20.30.
At 08.48 this morning Doolin Coast Guard members were paged to an incident at The Cliffs of Moher by MRCC Valentia. The Unit was asked to search for a missing person believed to be in that area. Search teams went immediately to the area and commenced searching, one of these teams searched surrounding fields with a SARDA search dog while others searched the cliff top edge.The Doolin Delta boat was launched and searched the sea under the cliffs. The Shannon Based Rescue helicopter was also tasked and carried out an air search of the area.
Sadly, shortly after, a body was sighted by a search team member over halfway down the cliff on a ledge. The helicopter assessed the situation and due to the conditions and location , they were unable to winch . Doolin Coast Guard team prepared to send climbers down to recover the casualty.Killaloe and Kilkee Coast Guard Units were called on for backup. With the full climbing set up prepared, two climbers descended the cliff and recovered the casualty.
- Tony Hughes: A Massive Thank you to all your team members for your rapid response today @ Aill na Searrach
- Mary.: Sincere thanks for your extreme kindness and care shown to me, the person involved in this accident and may I...
- Orla: Thank you so much to Caitriona, Tom, Brian and new members for the wonderful tour and warm welcome to your...
- John: Very nice to read this poem , regards to all at Doolin CG, from John Toe Head-Glandore CG
- Joan Reilly: To the men and women of the Doolin Coastguard, thank you for all your dedicated, unselfish hard work....