Doolin Coast Guard were present at the Galway Bay Swim in aid of Cancer Care West . 40 swimmers completed the 13km swim across the bay from Aughinish, Co Clare to Black Rock, Galway, in difficult conditions – well done to all
Doolin Coast Guard assisted when a member of the public collapsed at Doolin Pier. Team members stabilised the casualty until the arrival of the HSE Ambulance. The casualty was then transferred to hospital
Doolin Coast Guard Unit was tasked today in response to a MAYDAY call from a 37 foot Yacht, with 4 persons on board, in difficulty between Inis Oirr and the Cliffs of Moher . The team prepared the Delta boat for launch and proceeded to the pier for launch. The team was stood down when it was confirmed that the Aran Islands Lifeboat would take the boat on tow. The yacht was towed to safety. Other boats in the area had responded to the MAYDAY call also.
Doolin Coast Guard Unit was tasked by MRSC , Valentia to White Strand , where a swimmer was reported to be in difficulty. The Shannon Coast Guard helicopter was also tasked. Team members went immediately to the scene ,and the D-Class was taken by road. The Life Guard had taken the casualty from the water and the HSE Advanced Paramedic also assisted at the scene. Coast Guard members cleared a landing area and the casualty was airlifted to hospital.
Sadly, the casualty did not survive.
Doolin Coast Guard boats launched last night to meet the first of the Volvo Ocean Race boats off Earagh , Aran North , as they made their way to Galway Harbour. The Doolin Coast Guard boats along with the two Costelloe Bay Coast Guard boats remained close to the race boats for the final hours of their journey to Galway . Huge numbers of boats of all kinds came together to welcome their arrival . The Coast Guard boats assisted in keeping boats a safe distance from the competitors . Camper was the first to cross the finish line , while Groupama won the overall race. Galway RNLI had several boats in the bay and assisted a small boat with a tow in during the course of the night.There were several Garda boats and Customs boats present while the LE Niamh coordinated vessel control close to the Docks.
- Tony Hughes: A Massive Thank you to all your team members for your rapid response today @ Aill na Searrach
- Mary.: Sincere thanks for your extreme kindness and care shown to me, the person involved in this accident and may I...
- Orla: Thank you so much to Caitriona, Tom, Brian and new members for the wonderful tour and warm welcome to your...
- John: Very nice to read this poem , regards to all at Doolin CG, from John Toe Head-Glandore CG
- Joan Reilly: To the men and women of the Doolin Coastguard, thank you for all your dedicated, unselfish hard work....