The Doolin Coast Guard team has launched a new custom GIS system (Geographic Information System) . It has been developed in-house over the past three years and builds on the team’s existing GPS tracking system. It will enable team members to access advanced geospatial information on the move and improve the team’s overall efficiency. Instantly accessible by mobile devices and laptops/desktops, the system allows the lookup of location and informational data, including place names of Clare, local place names, caves, surfing spots, members/vehicle locations etc. It will also aid in incident planning as it contains information such as radio reception blackspots, access routes and helicopter landing sites. It can also route members to an incident.
Two key features are its ability to track team members, vehicles and vessels during an incident and it allows team members to add new information into the system either through mobile devices or on a team GIS website which will ensure constant development and improvement.
The hardware comprises of a backend server, mobile devices such as phones, tablets, dedicated tracking devices and also laptops/desktops.
The team’s new tablets ensure every team member has access to the GIS system, collaborative documents and online team management software.
Thanks to logainm.ie and Fiontar at Dublin City University for the use of their Co Clare place name data and the continued support of the local community.
Click here to leave a comment
- Tony Hughes: A Massive Thank you to all your team members for your rapid response today @ Aill na Searrach
- Mary.: Sincere thanks for your extreme kindness and care shown to me, the person involved in this accident and may I...
- Orla: Thank you so much to Caitriona, Tom, Brian and new members for the wonderful tour and warm welcome to your...
- John: Very nice to read this poem , regards to all at Doolin CG, from John Toe Head-Glandore CG
- Joan Reilly: To the men and women of the Doolin Coastguard, thank you for all your dedicated, unselfish hard work....